Mission Trip to Campus
Hey Team, here are our plans for the first 2 weeks of school and beyond. Our motto is “Give me freshmen or give me death!” and these first two weeks are crucial to reaching the maximum number of new students possible. We take mission trips all over the world; let's take one to UTA! Let me share some thoughts and then our plans.
OUR MINISTRY IS ABOUT PEOPLE NOT PROGRAMS, BUT…
Jesus’s great commission in Matthew 28 isn’t, “Go and build events and programs.” It’s, “Go and make disciples.” It’s about people, not programs! It’s about us knowing God and helping others know him too. However, well thought out programs and well timed events help accomplish this mission. The BSM staff is working hard to put together strategic opportunities for ministry to make it easy for you to reach people and help them grow.
HERE’S THE BOTTOM LINE… REACH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE IN THE FIRST 2-3 WEEKS.
The first 2-3 weeks is critical for reaching new people. During this time, new students are open and will come to almost anything they get a personal invitation to. Everybody on campus needs to know we’re here! And while we’ll work hard to meet people and invite them to events, we especially want to share Jesus as often as possible.
PEOPLE AREN’T LOOKING FOR AN EVENT TO ATTEND, THEY’RE LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO BELONG.
Our greatest need is Jesus, but the greatest need we FEEL is to belong. The most important thing we can do in the first 2-3 weeks this semester, is offer people a real community. Jesus didn’t just invite us to heaven. He invites us into a relationship with him. BSM’s goal these first three weeks isn’t to just invite people to events. It’s for each one of us to invite new people into our lives.
SO WHAT’S THE PLAN?
- Leaders Team Orientation – Monday, Aug 21 at 5:30pm to Tuesday, Aug 22 at 3pm. All BSM leaders, interns and staff will gather to worship & seek God, get training for our ministries, and make plans for our various ministries. The staff will help you have all the resources you need to do the ministry God called you to do.
- Connection Meetings – At summer orientations, we’ve collected names and info for almost 400 new students who are interested in BSM. We want to follow up personally with every single one! We’ll assign you a few (3-10) people and teach you how to schedule a Connection Meeting with them. This is a 15-20 minute appointment on campus to get to know them and invite them into our Christian community. It’s easy and makes a HUGE difference.
- Outreach Tables on Campus – The first four days of classes - Aug 24, 25, 28, 29 - we’ll setup a nice looking display in a busy part of campus from 10am-2pm each day. Come give away popsicles and invite people to New Student Social and the WideAwake Kickoff. Spend time at the table between classes whenever you’re free. Our goal is 4000 personal invitations!
- Attending UTA Events – UTA hosts several really fun events: Late night Target Shopping, Waffleopolis, Mavs Meet Party, Pajama Jam. Go with a few BSM friends, enjoy yourself, meet new students and invite them to New Student Social and the WideAwake Kickoff. Everything is on the BSM calendar at utabsm.com/events
- Residence Hall Outreach – Each Res Hall team is encouraged to brainstorm the best way to meet the residents in your hall, serve them and invite them to New Student Social and the WideAwake Kickoff.
- New Student Social – Thursday night, Aug 25 at 8pm, we’re inviting every new student to a free pizza party at the BSM. People will sit together with their WideAwake group leaders and get to know them BEFORE the WideAwake Kickoff.
- WideAwake Kickoff – Tuesday, Aug 29, 8pm in Rosebud Theater. God is good! We have to opportunity to launch WideAwake in a fantastic room and high traffic locations on campus! This will be the event that we promote the hardest and is key to our strategy of being disciples who make disciples.
- Retro Skate Social – Monday, September 11, 7:30-9:30pm at the Arlington Skatium. We’ll make planning your WideAwake group’s first social easy! Just invite people and come. It will be amazing.
- Fall Retreat – Sept 22-24 at Riverbend Retreat Center. It’s going to be great! When a new student attends Fall Retreat, they go from simply attending BSM to actually feeling like they’re part of BSM. You’ll personally be blessed by the program, and it will really help you minister to new students as well. This year, we’re making it one night instead of two for about the same cost so people can better connect with one another.
AND THEN WHAT?
With God’s help, lots of new students will become part of our community. Then, we’ll all take part in timeless practices of the Christian faith: community, worship, prayer, Bible study, evangelism and obedience to Christ’s commands. You’ll grow in your faith, and they’ll grow alongside you. The BSM staff is here to be coaches and cheerleaders to equip and encourage you to know Him and make him know. The way to change the world, is by changing people’s lives. And we’re BEGGING God to do that this year!
To God be the Glory,